Tuesday 7 April 2015

I have forgiven Jaywon – Imelda J


Fast rising Benue State born artiste, Imelda Ada Okwori, with the moniker Imelda J made headlines last year after speculations of her ‘alleged’ romance with popular singer Jaywon. In this interview with angeladaviesblog, she talks the alleged romance and other issues.
 
When did you start singing?
I started singing at a very tender age. I started singing before I joined the choir because my mother was into music. So, I grew up doing what she does and so when she saw the passion in me, she gave me her support. But professional music started with me six years ago.

What is your opinion of the music industry?
The Nigeria music industry is growing very fast. I am impressed with the journey so far. It’s just that most of the effort is by the artiste. There are no investors coming in as a result of piracy. Things can only get better if the Nigerian government can give maximum support to the industry. I think music is going digital now. You can have your songs on iTunes, Amazon, Spinlet among others. It is really amazing.
What is the latest about you?
I just released my new music video Jisoro. The song is expected to be on iTunes store and other digital store very soon. Bread and butter music video will also be dropping soon. I am also working on my album project because there is a deal underway. I have some international distribution offers already and as soon as my album is set, we will seal those deals.
In addition, I am working on a song to preach against domestic violence which I believe will not just be a song but a huge project. This year no doubt is a busy one for me. Hopefully, my team and I will follow our plan squarely and by God’s grace we will have our expected result.
What is the motivation behind your latest single, Jisoro?
Jisoro is a song that motivates people to dance. The melody came before the lyrics. It’s a song I never wrote. I just jumped on the microphone and inspiration began to flow. Jisoro to me means getting high. The song talked about love, dance and wealth. It’s a song that will make you dance away your sorrow but at the same time, perfect for everyone’s listening pleasure due to the mature instrumentation. It is a free-spirited song.
What is that question you are tired of answering?
When will you get married? Do you think you can ever get married?
Can you marry somebody like me?
 What’s your greatest aspiration in life?
It is to work hard until I will no longer have to introduce myself to the world. To get the reward of my labour and be able to give back to the society because I am happy when I am able to put a smile on somebody’s face.
Can you share with us your most embarrassing moment?
That still remains the day a fan publicly kissed me on stage. It was very embarrassing but I just had to bear it.
Would you go into politics in the near future?
Never say never until you get to the top. I might, I might not. The future is so bright and fair. I understand politics very well because I grew up in a political environment. Already, I have had offers from some of my top politician friends urging me to contest for some strategic positions but I turned it down for now. I think it’s a matter of time and destiny. I just want to stay focused on my career.
Are you in any relationship right now?
That is my personal life. I don’t wish to make it public.
Would you marry someone in the entertainment industry?
If that’s what God wants for me, I can’t say no. Marriage should be based on true love and not profession. So, whoever God blesses me with, I will accept regardless of the tribe and profession.
What is your real relationship with Jaywon because different stories have been heard?
Jaywon and I never dated. He is a cool guy, though I am upset with the way he handled the whole issue. But I have forgiven him. What happened was just a rumour that had no basis.
Till today I receive calls everyday from people asking me, ‘Are you sure you are not dating Jaywon?’ Even when I give them an answer, they still ask, ‘Are you really sure?’ Well, he is a single guy and I am a single lady so I won’t blame anyone.
I still respect him for who he is. But I have never thought of having any relationship with him. People said he bought a car and a gold wristwatch for me, but it is so funny. If you ask him, he doesn’t even know anything about Imelda. He only knows Imelda J. We only had official relationship.
You said you didn’t like the way he handled the whole issue. How did he handle it?
The moment the rumour of our dating got to him, he took to Twitter to announce that he didn’t know any Imelda J. His management team also wrote a press release but all the information they gave to the world about me were wrong. I wanted to file a case against them but I decided to let peace reign hoping that with time they will realise all the mistakes and misinformation.
But how did the rumour about you and Jaywon dating start?
I first heard about it on Ash Wednesday last year. I was actually in church when someone who was close to Jaywon and I called to inform me. I also learnt that the same person was responsible for the misinformation and a whole lot more after my investigation. In all, a whole lot of factors led to it.
One, I am a single lady and he is a bachelor. Second, we both worked together on a song titled, Everything I do and shot the video together. Also, my phone that had lots of files was stolen at a point. However, until now I don’t know how the picture got to the media. But it was either through my lost phone or those that made use of their phones on location of the music video.
But are you people still friends?
I don’t hate him but for now we are not close as expected.
 Aside music what else do you do?
I edit music videos, play keyboard and I am also going into fashion soon. I have my personal business I run in other states as well.
Have you signed any brand deal?
No. Not any yet. But some discussions and business talks are ongoing. When it’s ripe you will know.
How would you define your style?
I love being fashion forward. So I will say, over the top, bold, sexy and gorgeous.
What is the most expensive gift someone has ever bought for you?
That still remains my gold wristwatch. It was a birthday gift.
What makes you happy?
That would be when I put a smile on somebody’s face. Then when I am in love, visit places like zoo, wild life park, beach and environments filled with flowers.
I am a tourist. Also, when I receive credit alert from the bank it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment