Tuesday 7 April 2015

Female fan once openly asked me for sex - Kelechi Udegbe

 Nollywood actor, Kelechi Udegbe, in this interview with angeladaviesblog talks about his transformation from being a shy kid to an audacious and talented actor who has become a face to be reckoned with.
You were nominated in the category of Best Actor in a Comedy Film in the recently held AMVCA. How did the fact that you didn’t win it make you feel?
Not clinching the award was disappointing for me, but being nominated also makes you a winner. We were five nominees in the category and there were some real good actors that didn’t win as well. But, we have to celebrate the person who won. When you rejoice with people, people will rejoice with you when it’s your turn too.

As a child, were you socially active?
I was not socially active. I was very shy when growing up. In fact I was a science student in secondary school; my world was book and just me. The whole entertainment obsession started much later in my life. In fact, most of my friends that I grew up with didn’t believe that I could come out from being a shy science student to becoming a bold and talented actor. It was a great change.
So at what point in your life did that change happen?
After secondary school, I joined a music group and started loving the arts. But because of different issues with the group, I decided that I wanted to go and try my hands in acting. So, I went to Pencil Institute of Film and Television (PEFTI) because I wanted to become a professional after which I started my acting career. My first major job was Super Story’s Behind the Smiles, a Wale Adenuga production. And from then on, the journey has been incessant. I was never a child actor; acting was never part of my plan. I was never in any social group in school or drama group in church.
How was the transition from being a shy science student to a bold and talented actor?
With time, it manifested. I used to sketch and draw very well and that was what I saw I could do but acting just manifested on its own. I probably didn’t know I had the talent. I probably must have shown some traits, but nobody noticed unlike in developed countries where they concentrate on identifying or nurturing talents in children. Many of us in this part of the world are very talented but our parents and guardians don’t even notice the talent in their children.
Did your parents support your acting career?
At first, my dad was not really excited about my acting career. But after he watched Super Story’s Behind the Smiles and then saw the first interview I granted, he was really proud of me. I remember he gave me some money that day to do whatever I want and that made me happy. When he understood what I wanted and where I was going to, we were able to come to a compromise.
How was your first time in front of the camera?
I went to PEFTI so I already had an idea of what to do and how to behave in front of the camera. So when I got to the actual set, it wasn’t difficult for me. The director didn’t have much work to do.
Do you think the entertainment industry is getting enough support?
Luckily, the entertainment industry gets lots of encouragement and support from different areas. But at the same time, we need regulation. Entertainment is a medium of passing message so we should try and impact our people more positively because it is a strong medium. A lot of things I saw growing up on television, stuck faster than the books I read.
The medium of entertainment is very strong and I believe we can do better things. You have done some interesting skits for Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA). Are you its brand ambassador? I am known as Officer Titus in the LASTMA skit and we have shot seven episodes. The skits are hilarious, a lot of people as well as the officials like the skits. It was an interesting idea brought by Ndani TV and written by Daniel Effiong to emphasise obeying traffic rules and regulations in the state. However, I am not yet their brand ambassador but we are working on trying to see what we can also do to make Officer Titus become their brand ambassador.
How do you relate with your female fans?
I grew up in a house with four younger sisters and lots of aunties so I relate with my female fans well. Growing up I used to have issues with my sisters because they talked too much and it could be annoying. But my father called me one day, and advised that I learn to overlook whatever they do because they are women and that is how they are created. From then on, I got to understand that women are emotional and they talk more than they do. So I have a way of relating well with women. Even before I started acting, I used to be around women a lot.
What is the most embarrassing thing a female fan has said to you?
A female fan saw me and bluntly said, ‘Kelechi I love you. I want to sleep with you.’ She repeated it twice. It was really embarrassing.
Do you produce movies as well?
In this industry, it is paramount that most of us will end up producing films. I already did a pilot of a television show and I am working on some other skits I have to produce. I am also working on having a production outfit that can bring out good movies too. I have been in the system for a while and I know I am still going to be here for a while, so all the experiences I am gathering working with different people will be used to make mine better.
When did you join the industry?
Officially I started acting 2007, 2008 and it has been a gradual growing process but exciting as well.
If there is one thing you could change about yourself. What would that be?
I’d like to change the fact that I don’t eat salad and vegetables and they make one fresh. I would love to change from being a bushman because what I love to eat is palm oil and roasted yam, upaka, ugba, ukwa, abacha and ofe oha.
It seems the entertainment industry is divided due to the elections. Do you share in this opinion?
I wouldn’t say the entertainment industry is divided or not. For instance, if I have a twin, he might want to vote for one party and me another party but that does not mean we are divided, it just means we have different interest. Likewise in the industry, some people want a particular party or candidate and others want another party or candidate, does not mean they are divided because they are at war with each other. They are probably divided because they have different opinion about who should rule them and they have a right to. It is a normal thing.
Where are you from?
Imo State, but a lot of people think I am Yoruba until they hear my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment