Thursday 25 October 2012

My song 'Akanam Nkwe' is more popular than my name - Princess Anne

 
Princess Anne Inyang came to the limelight in 1996 with the release of her debut album, 'All the way with my Jesus'. In this interview with www.angeladaviesblog.blogspot.com, the prolific writer and vocalist reveals what inspired her to sing the hit track, Akanam Nkwe. She also speaks about her marriage, music amongst other issues.

Where are you from?
I am from Ibiono Ibom council area in Akwa Ibom State.
We have not heard about you for sometime; what have you been doing of late?
I have not been in the country for a while; I travelled for about six years and I have been up to so many things. I came back two years ago but in between, I was coming home to promote my works. In 2006, I came home to celebrate my 10 years on the stage during which I released two albums, ‘Powered by God’ and ‘Nkana N’Comprehend’. The concert featured great artistes such as Sammie Okposo, Stella Damasus, Folake Umosen, Kenny St. Brown and many others. I also came home in 2009 and hosted a live concert that featured most of the gospel greats. I finally came back to the country in 2010 and right now I am in the studio working on my ninth album. The single will be on air before the end of October while the studio work continues.
You are a gospel artiste but why haven’t you crossed over to sing secular songs like some other gospel artistes?
I don’t really like to judge people because, from my experience, a lot of artistes who started out in the church end up in the world. Somebody like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and indeed a host of artistes we celebrate today both at home and abroad, started their musical careers from the church but ended up doing secular songs.
What’s the reason for that?
The reason is simply and largely due to lack of support from the church. Those of us who have been consistent in gospel music know that we are not finding it funny. Most gospel artistes switch over to secular music because of financial gains. Not many churches are supportive of gospel artistes, while some which sponsor big gospel music events tilt more to foreign artistes. One thing I have discovered is that because most churches have their own choirs and those who volunteer their talents to serving the Lord in the area of music, they do not fully appreciate the ones doing music as a career or ministry. It is as if to say “what are they singing that we don’t sing in our church?” For me, personally, I do church events and I anchor corporate and government events as well. I also write some songs that don’t have God or Christ but they are scripturally based. I don’t condemn gospel artistes that cross over to sing secular songs, it is their choice. We are all responsible for the choices we make.
The song that made you popular is Akanam Nkwe. What doors did that song open for you?
The song opened innumerable doors. I have sang for kings and presidents. I have travelled to countries I never imagined I would reach in my lifetime. I have ministered in white-dominated churches, performed on stage with artistes I had heard of many years before I became one. The song came to me when I was in my ‘crossroads’. It is talking about God’s unconditional love and it means, “I have never seen the love that can compare with God’s love”. God decided to compensate me with that song and it has reached where I have not reached. People sing the song but they don’t know the author or the meaning. My song is more popular than my name (laughs).
Well, some people believe that Akanam Nkwe is a ‘Calabar folk song’. How true is this?
Contrary to what I hear that it is a “ Calabar folk song”, I tell you that this song was not in existence before 1995 when I wrote it. It was actually released on March 31, 1996. I challenge anyone who can prove to me that they heard this song before I wrote it in 1995. Like somebody said to me recently, “your song is too popular to belong to you. It is like a song of 50 years ago.” But here I am still young and enjoying the evergreen nature of the song.
There is something about the song Akanam Nkwe, anytime it is sang anywhere in the world. Even if the mood of worship was dull, it will suddenly ignite it. I am telling you that music is spiritual and God used that song to compensate me, to really lift me up so I am grateful to Him.
You’ve added so much weight. What have you been eating or is it rest of mind?
It is not really eating or rest of mind. I had a medical condition that had to do with my thyroid, which did not allow my body to burn fat but I am completely healed now.
How do you stay in shape now?
I do a lot of exercises and I go to the gym at least thrice in a week. I also watch what I eat. I avoid late night food as much as I can.
You were once married. Will you go back to him or will you remarry?
Go back to the man who married the woman who broke up our marriage, and be the second wife or what? Anyway, I will remarry soon.
Who is the new man in your life?
I will tell you that when next we meet.
There has been increase in the rate of crashed marriages and divorces these days in our society, especially among the celebrities. Can’t marriages be enjoyed anymore?
It is really sad, I tell you. It is not only among celebrities, but it is now too rampant even among pastors. I was not a celebrity by the time I was divorced. I got married very early thinking that I was going to enjoy my marital life and raise godly children but somebody else came in and broke up our relationship. Women are ready to do anything to get married and they don’t care if the person is married or not. Sometimes marriages break up as a result of intolerance, immaturity, impatience, lack of effective communication and understanding. Also, unforgiveness due to inadequate love. The Bible says “love covers a multitude of sins”.
If you have to change one thing about yourself, what would that be?
I like myself totally…everything about me.
Can you define your fashion statement?
I wear what suits me and the way I dress also depends on the mood of the occasion. Occasions that are casual, I go casual and when it comes to formal occasions, I really go formal. When I feel like wearing jeans, I do exactly that. I flow with the event I am going to.
Are you a jewellery person?
Yes, I am. I love anything that complements what I wear. Gold does not have so much design so I love beads and African jewellery.
What advice would you give to aspiring gospel artistes?
It is not enough to know how to sing. That you lead praise and worship in your church does not mean you should release an album. It is much more than that because music is very demanding. For me, I had to leave a good paying job with First Bank. I had to leave because I felt I was not putting much time into my music. It is not enough to just collate other people’s songs, go to the studio and record. I don’t support that at all. It is piracy and infringement on people’s intellectual property. You are contravening the copyright law.
What has been your greatest challenge in your musical career?
That will be management and marketing. There is no proper structure in place to favour the artiste. I write the songs, record them, shoot the videos, do the promotion and then begin to market the work myself. We have very few artiste managers, record labels and a handful of marketers. That is why you don’t see my album in the streets. People have great demand for them but no reliable marketer.
What is the boldest step you have ever taken in your life?
To leave a well paid job to the ‘unknown’ at a time in this country when music generally had no promising future. What advice do you have for women in the forefront?
I will advise women who are in positions of authority that they should continue with the good work they are doing and also help others as much as they possibly could. Believe it or not, women are very strict. I know there are some bad eggs However, give a woman some hard tasks, she will deliver.
What is your philosophy of life?
Do unto others as you expect them to do to you. I also do not believe there is anything called impossible, if I set my mind to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment