Tuesday 17 February 2015

My crush on Dakore died once she got married - Daniel Kanayo Daniel

Nollywood actor, Daniel Kanayo Daniel’s dream was to become a pilot in his formative years. But he studied applied biochemistry and ended up as an actor. He speaks with angeladviesblog about growing up, his crush on a popular actress and how childhood ended early for him.

Who is Daniel K Daniel?
My full name is Daniel Kanayo Daniel but popularly known as Daniel K Daniel or DKD as friends and colleagues call me. I am an actor and a model. I was born in northern Nigeria and grew up in Abuja, Enugu and Port Harcourt. I am from Nenwe in Aninri Local Government Area in Enugu State.
I have a bachelor of science degree in applied biochemistry from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University.

What was growing up like?
I grew up in a strongly knit family where family holidays and celebrations were our thing; academic excellence was a prerequisite for these of course. I am the first of four children; I have two brothers and a sister, the angel of the family. I lost my father when I was quite young. He passed tragically in a ghastly auto crash, and being the first child, I had to grow up pretty quickly, so in essence childhood ended for me really early.
How did you make your Nollywood entry?
It was a big accident and it’s still funny to me. After I graduated from the university and went back to Abuja, while waiting for my youth service, I did some modelling jobs. Then, I met a friend, Steiner Eunice Opara at an event. After the shindig she asked me to accompany her to see a friend and I obliged. We ended up at a movie casting. Immediately we walked in, the director asked me to walk up and read the script that he liked my haircut and dressing and I did. Then he asked me to act, I hesitated and said I didn’t know how to. But he insisted and I did. People applauded, he asked for my name and I said ‘Daniel K Daniel,’ he laughed and said, ‘you say you are not here to act but you have a showbiz name.’ He took my number, gave me a script and that was how it started. But when I was younger, my dad used to allow filmmakers use our house in Enugu and Port Harcourt as movie locations. I was not really fascinated about it because I felt they took up too much space and would normally stay too late. So, I used to grumble about it a lot. I never knew I would end up as an actor. When I finally became an actor several years after, it felt like I was home where I belong.
What were your earliest challenges as an actor?
I was practically handed my first job as an actor on a platter but, from then on, it has been one big challenge after another because I have to continually prove that I am as good as everyone says I am.
The biggest challenge was often proving that I could do as well as my more popular colleagues at that time who were automatically first choice by virtue of being in the game longer.
Do you have a crush on any female celebrity?
I have none. Oh, I remember I had one on Dakore Egbuson but then she got married and so the crush died.
 What is the weirdest thing a fan has said or done to you?
There have been some crazy stuff from female fans but funny enough it is the one from an elderly lady that I always remember. She saw us filming somewhere in Lagos and accosted me, therefore disturbing the shoot in the process. She went on and on about how she loved so many things about me and my acting. And after all the praises, she ended on a somewhat negative note by saying, ‘you don fine now, I remember the first time wey you begin act, you no fine at all.’ I honestly didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. The rest of the crew had a good laugh though.
Away from acting what other passion do have?
Growing up, I really wanted to be a pilot and still wish I could. But I was diagnosed with myopia when I was 15, so it killed the dream. Then I also have a passion for computers, I used to be an IT guru when I was in school. I used to fix people’s computers and do assignments for my mates studying computer science. I also used to do public speaking and deliver seminars and classes for a private company in Abuja. Now I hardly have the time for any other thing but acting.
What will you not tolerate in a woman?
I am obsessively clean, so the first thing I won’t put up with would have to be dirt and disorderliness. The second would be lies and deceit.
Are you married?
No, I am not married and to be entirely honest, I don’t know when. But hopefully soon, so my mother doesn’t disown me.
What is your assessment of Nollywood and what do you want changed?
Nollywood right now is something to be very proud of. The pioneers laid a good foundation for us and we are doing our best to build on that and make it the biggest movie industry in the world.
Nollywood movies are shown all over the globe, I feel fulfilled sometimes when I receive mails from fans in China, Switzerland and some other countries you wouldn’t believe watch our movies. The things I would like to change are piracy and inadequate funding.
What are some of the movies you have featured in and which role would you say has been most challenging?
I have featured in so many movies. Some are Ladies Men, Under, which was filmed in Ghana, Paint My Life, Tempest, Lions of 76, Jujuwood, Body of the King, Girl, Mummy Dearest, Devil in Red, Amstel Malta Box Office (AMBO 4) movie The Child, BBC movie Sarah’s Choice, MNET movie Perfectly Flawed, Match Maker, I’m Audrey, amongst others.
They have all been equally unique and challenging in different ways. But I will tilt towards Lions of 76 directed by Izu Ojukwu as being the most challenging partly because of the time spent on the project. We spent six months filming the project; we all had to sacrifice a lot to make it happen.
What makes you happy?
This is a simple but tough question. I guess seeing my loved ones happy and putting smiles on people’s faces make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment