Monday 27 February 2012

I would have loved to know God earlier than I did – Rosemary Okeke

At the tender age of 21, Rosemary Okeke won the coveted Miss Nigeria Beauty Pageant crown. However, 27 years later, she still looks outstandingly beautiful. She relives the night she was crowned Miss Nigeria 1985, and spoke about her growing up years among other issues with www.angeladaviesblog.blogspot.com.


We have had a number of beauty queens in the past. Somehow, they have all faded away. How have you managed to remain in the limelight?
Am I really in the limelight? I would say maybe because of the nature of my work. I am a fashion designer so I have to continue to meet with clients, showcase my styles and also there are other projects I am involved in so I have to be out there. I think it is basically the nature of my work.

Can you relive the night you won the Miss Nigeria Beauty Pageant in 1985?
Oh that night, O My God, that was a long time ago. It was a night full of excitement as well as tension. The competition started beautifully and ended beautifully for me having won the crown. I contested in the zonal competition from then Bendel State, now Edo State, and won the competition from there. I came to Lagos for the final event and eventually won.
So, the experience was beautiful. We were a group of girls that came together and spent a couple of days together visiting places before the day of the competition. So it was quite exciting for a young lady like me at that point and then, of course, the tension of not being sure of what was going to happen at the end of the day. But by the grace of God, it turned out well for me.

Did you ever envisage you were going to win the competition?
Well, you are not going into something believing you are going to fail; there won’t be need for that. So, of course, I went to the competition determined to win and it meant putting in my best, which I did. At that point, it could have been anybody because everybody came expectant and everybody came and displayed their best. So, God was on my side.

Winning the pageant must have opened doors for you?
On the social scene definitely, it opened a lot of doors. A few companies that I had modelled for at that point also gave me the opportunity to start making some money at that young age. I met quite a lot of people that maybe at that point in my life I wouldn’t have met but at some point in my life I would have met but maybe not at that point. So I was able to meet quite a number of important people in the country.

What did winning the crown change about you?
Hmmm … it didn’t change much about me. It only made me a little bit busier. I was still my old self till tomorrow. I have my school mates that are still my friends, family is always family. Winning the crown didn’t change much of me other than the fact that I had one-year national responsibility that I had to live up to and that was just that.
You said you won the coveted crown at a tender age. How old were you then?
I won it when I was 20 years old because I celebrated my 21st birthday as Miss Nigeria in 1985 (her face lit up).

Can you compare the beauty pageants then and now?
In those days, it was slightly different but everyday there is a change in the world. So everything that people do must go with the times. I think that is what is happening even in the industry. People must change and things must improve. But beauty pageants have really improved from the organisation, to selection, prices and many more.

You won the crown 27 years ago but you still bear the same name. Were you never married?
I was married for about 11 years but I have been separated for some years now. I am divorced so I changed back to my maiden name.

You have children?
Yes, I have a daughter, Roxanne. She will be 21 years old this year.
 You still look young and beautiful, what’s your secret?
My secret I cannot emphasise that enough (a glint in her eyes). What I am and how I look is just God’s making. I didn’t have a hand in my creation when I came to the world. So I cannot say there is anything that I do. I only try to enhance what God has already finished, so, I do not do anything in particular.
The only thing that I go out of my way to do is when I am getting overweight, I try to do exercises for health reasons. I mind what I eat and mind the time I eat them. It is not just about beauty, also for health reasons.

If there is one thing you would change about yourself, what would that be?
Hmmm … I don’t think there is anything I really want to change about myself. I probably would have loved to know God earlier than I did or become a born-again Christian earlier than I did. I would have wished that I had known God personally the way that I know him now earlier than I did.

What inspires you in life?
The word of God motivates, directs and it does everything for me.

What are those childhood memories you hold so dear?
She gave a warm, friendly smile) Woah! There are quite a lot. First, I grew up in a place called Nigeria Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR). It was somewhere in now Edo State, then Bendel State. My dad used to work there as an Agronomist and it was what you call a Government Reserved Area (GRA). It was such a beautiful place to actually live and grow up. It was quiet and so well structured. We had schools there and everything, we were really satisfied.
It was a place where the whole community lived like one big family. Where children go to school in the morning and once after school and everybody has had lunch, we are all heading to the club because they had a club where we go to swim. That is why I got to learn how to swim very early in life and children also hang out with their mothers. And because in that community we were like one huge family, that affected my life very much. That is why most of the time I like to have people around.
I still cherish my early years in life. Most of us that grew up in that same environment are still in touch and we always see the difference in the way we look at life. There was no violence, the houses had no high walls and gates. The compounds were separated by flowers so when you walk on the street, you appreciate everything and every home. You walk in and out of every home, it was one huge family. These were beautiful growing up years.

You look stylish in your outfit; what’s style to you?
Don’t forget I am a fashion designer, so style means a lot to me. Everything that I do is about creativity, so I like to be unique in my dressing. My style does not have to be too loud but must make a statement. Style means a lot to me because it portrays what I believe in and what I am involved in.

What kind of clothes do you love to wear?
I love all sorts to be honest, but I love African prints. Because I am into designing, you can get anything you want from African prints from suits to long skirts and tops, evening wears, shorts and dresses. It just depends on where I am going to or what I am doing. I don’t like any particular style but I just like to be decent. The promotion of African prints years ago was the best thing they could have done because we started appreciating what we actually have. It has done a whole lot to the fashion industry in this country.

How do you relax?
I read a lot of inspirational books. I love to watch movies as well because it helps me to relax. When I want to relax, I do that a lot.

What puts you off in people?
Hmmm … Lies. There are too many fake and dishonest people that really put me off. As soon as I realise that someone is just an unstable character like when you lie, you are very unstable so that puts me off anybody. Once I find that out in someone, I can never trust nor take you seriously. I don’t like selfish people as well. All some people are thinking about is acquiring for themselves over and over again. Meanwhile, you can help this society by reaching out to some people. I don’t like selfish characters.

What is your greatest fear?
My greatest fear is to fail God and at the end not make heaven. I would say failure generally, I fear failure. That was why when I went in for the Miss Nigeria Beauty Pageant, although, it was a group of beautiful young girls, the fear of failure made me to go out of my way to do my best. I thank God I was rewarded for it.
So basically, my greatest fear is failure starting from failing God, my family and friends. I go out of my way to please friends and family because I don’t want to be counted as a failure in anything that I do.
Where is your dream destination?
I am not too sure that I have a particular place I dream to visit. I love adventure; I love to visit beautiful places.

Your make-up looks light. Is that how you usually love it?
Yes, I like my make-up light, as light as I can help it. But light enough for you to know that I have make-up on but not too loud enough for you to notice me from one mile away.

What kind of jewelry do you love to wear?
I am not crazy about jewelry but I love earrings. I am not a necklace person; it is only occasionally you will ever find me wearing one. I love rings. In jewelry, earrings and rings are my best.

Excerpts:

No comments:

Post a Comment