Tuesday 6 September 2011

‘You won’t catch me wearing skimpy dress at event’ - Amina Atairu


Effervescent Amina Atairu as a child had the vision of becoming either a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) or an actress. Today, she is a Nollywood actress. In this interview with us, she talked about her style and how she got into acting.

Who is Amina Atairu?
I am from Edo State but grew up in Maiduguri. I am the first daughter from a family of eight, of four boys and a kid sister. I went to the University of Benin where I did a diploma in Law. I was also part of the English and Literature Students Association play house, and it was there I decided go into movie industry. But I have actually started acting from kindergarten, mine has always been acting and debate because I had this vision of either becoming a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) or an actress.

So, have you dropped the idea of becoming a SAN?
Yes I have.

Is it for Nollywood?
Not for Nollywood. Seriously when you look at the entertainment industry, it is bigger than just Nollywood itself, it is wide. So, yes I have dropped Law. Right now, I told myself there are two things I need to concentrate on, which is studying Mass Communication to become a broadcaster and acting.

What is style to you?
Well, it is anything that brings me out. Anything that defines me, what I wear that I feel so comfortable in, that is my style.

What kind of clothes do you love wearing?
I love jeans trousers and jergens. I feel so comfortable in jean trousers and I can go anywhere with them.

What is that fashion item you cannot do without as a woman?
I can’t do without my lip gloss, lip balm and cajal. The lip gloss protects my lips.

What is that clothing item you won’t be caught wearing?
Hmmm, you won’t catch me wearing a very skimpy dress. I can’t wear it because apart from being on the big side, we were trained to cover up. I am from a Muslim background, so, I am just trying to be very ‘funkinized’. You can see me with skimpy dress in photos but you won’t see me with it in videos, on the streets or at events.

What is your best perfume?
I love Dior. The smell is so calm. But most times I mix with the men’s perfumes because they stay longer. But, I love Dior and Gucci.

What is the misconception you think people have about you?
Seriously, I don’t know. But somebody walked up to me one day and said I think I like you, my friends don’t like you they think you are a snub and I just said, I am not a snub. I could be strict but I am very down to earth. People try to see my being calm and trying to be conservative when need be for being a snub and rude.

What part of your body can you flaunt if you have to?
My face (laughs) because that is the only thing that I can flaunt. That is what God gave me to show off.

How do you handle your male fans?
Simple, always smile not rude. But when you call and when I see you are taking it to the extreme, I tell you the way it is; if you think I am rude with that, fine.

What is your greatest fear in life?
Not being able to communicate with God one day.

Who are your fashion role models?
I love Beyonce, Opara Winfrey, Ellen de Genius and Tyra Banks. But in the Nigerian scene, I love Genevieve Nnaji. I love her fashion sense. She is just too comfortable in wearing it just the way an African woman is supposed to wear a dress and yet look sexy.

How do you like your make-up?
I like it very simple. If my eyes are heavy with eye shadow, then my lip is just with lip gloss. If my lip is heavy with red or pink lipstick, then my eyes is just going to be with my cajal, mascara and my brow.

How do you like to carry your hair?
I love curly hair; it makes me feel so Indian (Laughs).


Beauty routine
I am into herbal products, so I have my own soap that I make. I use it on my face and I scrub once in two weeks.

Best colour
White because it is peace. I feel very close to God when I am in white.

How do you relax?
I watch movies, I’m a movie freak.

How do you keep fit?
I have my own gym in the house and I go there once in a while. I am a nutritious person, I take my fruits and I walk everyday to a short distance and that helps me keep fit.

Your philosophy of life
Life is simple, at the same time difficult but when you understand life, then, life is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment