Tuesday 6 September 2011

I’m entangled in relationship with my suitor’s father (2)


This is the concluding part of the story of Vero and the men in her life.


Three weeks later, Elvis told me he thinks he had fallen helplessly in love with me. “Vero, I have to tell you that I have fallen helplessly in love with you. Why not give us a chance to know each other” he pleaded. I was not surprised at all because I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. However, I told him to give me some time to think about it.

I knew I had fallen in love with him too but what if Chief finds out, would he kill his son? I asked myself. “God, Chief has vowed to kill any man he sees with me. How can I date father and son? How do I handle this?”
About a month later, Chief told me he was travelling to Hong Kong for a business meeting and he would be away for three weeks. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to be in the arm of the man I have fallen in love with. The truth is that I do not love Chief, I love his money. But for young and handsome looking Elvis, he was my dream man. He is single and ready to mingle, so, I decided to give him a chance.

When Chief travelled, my visit to his house became an everyday affair because of Elvis. His mother was very excited that things were going on well between us. During one of such visits to the house, Elvis asked me what I do for a living. I needed to think very fast and tell him lies he would believe, so I said, “I am actually into buying and selling of ladies’ wear. I collect from friends, and go round offices to sell them.” “That is good idea but why not open a boutique, travel and buy these things yourself,” he suggested. I told him I don’t have enough money to do the business. He promised to do something about it.

On his return, Elvis started working in his father’s company. In fact, he became a member of the board of trustees. He too started spoiling me with money and gifts. When I told my mother about Elvis, she quietly said, “I warned you not to date Chief but you thought I was old school. Vero, you alone will face the consequences of whatever you are doing. I have washed my hands of you since the day you moved out of this house.”
The three weeks Chief was away, I never took Elvis to the apartment he rented for me. Instead, I took him to my mother’s place and pleaded with them to pretend as if I live there with them. Any day Elvis and I have a date, I leave my house early to my mother’s place to wait for him. We had beautiful time together until Chief came back from his trip.
My attention immediately shifted back to Chief but my heart was with Elvis. Chief was so excited to see me. He made up for those three weeks he was away with loads of gifts and money. He started spending most of his mornings at my place because he could not lie to his wife about embarking on another business trip immediately.

I hardly had time for Elvis and he became worried. Whenever we fix dates, I end up standing him up; the worse was that I couldn’t even call him because Chief monitored my every move.
I was home alone one afternoon when I heard a knock on the door. I knew it was not chief because he has the spare key to the apartment. However, I rushed to open the door. Guess who I saw? Elvis. I was shocked and it was written all over my face. “Elvis, what are you doing here? Who gave you this address?” I asked confused.

“Vero, what is happening? You completely changed over night, what is the matter? You don’t pick my calls, you manage to reply my messages and you now stand me up whenever we have a date. Did I do something wrong? Please tell me and I will apologise,” he told me. Shivering I said, “That is not what I asked you. How did you get this address?” He asked me if I would not let him in to the house and I quietly opened the door wide for him to come in.

He then explained to me that he went to my ‘supposed house’ to look for me, only to be told by my mother that I don’t live with them. When he insisted on my whereabouts, my younger sister gave him this house address and assured him that he would meet me there. “What else did they tell you,” I asked. He told me absolutely nothing. But the interrogation began:
“Vero, who owns this place? Don’t lie to me?” he pleaded. “It is my uncle’s place. I stay here with him,” I lied. “So why didn’t you tell me this before?” he asked. “Well that is because he does not want any man coming to look for me in his house. He would have embarrassed you if he was at home. Please leave, he could come at any time and I don’t want any trouble for us. I will see you tomorrow, I promised.” He assured me that he understood, then gave me a long kiss and left.

One Saturday morning, Aunty Joyce insisted that I go shopping with her because she was expecting some family friends that evening. After the shopping and cooking, while I was talking with her in the kitchen, Elvis walked in, went on his knees and proposed to me. I said yes and he slipped a diamond ring into my finger. “I think we should start the marriage preparations immediately,” she said. We both unanimously chorused “yes, ma”. I was happy, at the same time sad. I knew Elvis and I love each other but what would Chief do if he heard that I am engaged to his son? That scared me.

I left almost immediately and headed straight to my mother’s place to inform them of the good news. “Mum, I will be getting married soon. He finally proposed,” I screamed. My mother looked at me for a while, shook her head and stressed, “So, who finally proposed? Is it father or son or both of them? Vero, you think you are smart, but don’t worry you have my shoulders to cry on when your world come crashing down on you.”

The next day, Chief rushed to my apartment screaming my name. “Vero, Vero where are you? What do you think you are doing accepting to marry my son? You better forget Elvis because you will never marry him as long as I live,” he threatened. “Chief, I think you are forgetting something. We can never get married so why not allow me marry Elvis? If you oppose our union, then, you must have a good explanation for your wife and son. What will you tell them, Chief?” He immediately dashed out of the house.

Elvis and I were always together at their place and this annoyed Chief. I decided to be fully committed to Elvis whom I have come to love so much. When Chief sensed that Elvis was visiting me at the apartment, he asked me to vacate the place and also seized the car. When Elvis asked me, I lied to him that my uncle had to sell off everything to travel abroad to join his family and that he would be away for a very long time, so I had to go back to my mother’s house.

One Sunday evening when we went out together, Chief sent thugs to beat up Elvis. He thought that would stop me from seeing his son but, instead, it strengthened our love. The next day I went to see him in his office. “Chief I know you sent those thugs to beat up your son. So, you want to kill your only son because of a woman? What a shame,” I told him. “I only told them to beat him up because he is my son, but next time, he may join his ancestors if you don’t stop seeing him,” he threatened.

When preparation was in top gear and Aunty Joyce was so excited that her son would soon get married to a ‘good woman’, Chief told them I cannot marry his son. “Vero cannot marry Elvis. She is not as innocent as she appears. I have seen her with various men at different times. She is not suitable for my son.” I was not shocked but I had to defend myself before Aunty Joyce and Elvis.

From all indications, Chief is serious about Elvis not marrying me. What do I do? Should I tell Aunty Joyce the truth? But, I don’t want to break her heart. She trusted me so much and I betrayed that trust. What about Elvis, should I tell him I have been dating and sleeping with his father? How will he look at me? I have come to truly love him and don’t want to lose him. What do I do?

1 comment:

  1. We stumbled over here by a different page and
    thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now
    i am following you. Look forward to looking at your web page
    repeatedly.

    Also visit my website - lenka

    ReplyDelete