Monday 13 August 2012

‘Help, my mother is dating my best friend!’ (1)

 My mother is very industrious and brilliant. She has been in charge of my father’s business since he died some years ago. Interestingly, I have never known her to have an affair with any other man since my father died, although she has close friends and their relationship is strictly business related. She is also a beautiful and sophisticated woman in her 40s. 

She loves to dress well but never wears cleavage revealing nor skimpy clothes. And that is one of things I admire about her. In fact when she sees young girls dressed with their cleavage exposed, she would get so irritated and react thus: “Youths of these days just wear whatever they like and leave their houses. Didn’t their mothers see them? Thank God I don’t have a daughter because I will kill her if she leaves the house dressed this way.” The few female friends I have are skeptical whenever they have to visit me because my mother scrutinizes their outfits and this makes them very uncomfortable. For that, they know that if they must visit me at home, they must be well dressed.
But recently, I noticed that my mother dresses superfluously, more like a prostitute at home. In fact, she pays special attention to her mode of dressing, make-up and hairstyles these days. She wears shorts, skimpy outfits and cleavage-revealing tops as well. I find this really uncomfortable, especially now that my friend, Leo, just came in from Ghana to stay with us.
I was so shocked one morning as I came out of my room to go to work; my mother was dressed in a tight-fitted miniskirt with a transparent top revealing her bra, talking with Leo in the dining area. The few minutes I stood watching them as they talked I observed that Leo was trying so hard not to look straight at her.
“Good morning mum, can I talk to you in your bedroom for a minute, please?” I asked. “Alright son, let’s go,” she replied. I allowed her walk in front of me to see her closely. When we got to her room, I said, “Mum, what are you wearing? The mum I have always known will never dress this way? When did you start dressing like this mum?” Her reply, “Patrick, my son, I dress this way to make me feel young again.” “But mum don’t you think what you are wearing is too tight and transparent?” I questioned. “Well, actually these outfits have been in my wardrobe for some time now and as you know I have gained some weight. But I know I look good even if you don’t like it,” she said. I shook my head and walked away after making her realise that I was not pleased with her new mode of dressing.
Leo and I became good friends in our secondary school days. We used to be seat mates in our junior secondary school and our friendship bond grew from there. During the holidays, we spent time playing games and also visiting places of interest. We introduced ourselves as best friends to anybody that cared to listen. However, after our final exams in secondary school, his parents wanted him to further his education in Ghana. He left for that country and gained admission into the University of Legon to study while I gained admission into the University of Lagos. My parents wanted me close to them as the only child. Leo and I still kept in touch and he visited Nigeria whenever he was on holiday. About two years later, his whole family moved over to Ghana and, somehow, we lost contact.
In my second year in the university, my father was involved in a car accident and died on the spot. My mother and I were really devastated but after the burial, she had to put her acts together and take over the running of his company. She promised to hand over the business once I graduated from the university. I have been running my father’s construction group for four years now. My mother only comes to the office when there is an important meeting.
Some months ago, I received a phone call from Leo telling me that he was in the country and that we needed to see. I was so happy to hear from him and eager to see him. We met two days later and we had to catch up on old times. Leo informed me that he was back in Nigeria to stay but needed somewhere to stay temporarily so that he could organise his life. “I have stayed in a hotel for two days now. I need somewhere to stay so that I can put my life in order. After that, I need to look for a job,” he disclosed. “Leo, you have no problem at all. You can stay in my house. Just give me some few minutes to inform my mother,” I urged him. I called my mother and informed her about my decision about Leo coming to stay with us for some time. She didn’t like the idea as I had expected. However, I managed to convince her and she reluctantly agreed. “Alright your friend can stay with us but he must leave within three months,” she said. We went home together that evening and I made sure he was comfortable.
Some days later, I suggested to my mother that Leo should work in the company. She said she will need to think about it. Whenever I brought up the issue, her answer was always the same. They were always at home alone and it was during this period that I noticed that her mode of dressing had changed. But I never thought that she was doing all these because of Leo. I also noticed that Leo had stopped talking about getting a job.

To be continued next week.

2 comments:

  1. Warn Leo not to ever come to your house again... simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though love sees no boundaries & differences.. you have got to get this Leo guy out of your house. Warn him to not be seen as close as 3 blocks from your house..

    ReplyDelete