Monday 5 March 2012

‘Paying for my sin of hatred and jealousy’ (1)


It is exactly 20 years this month since I plotted evil against my roommate, friend and ‘Christian sister’, Bimbo. Although, I am Augustina by name, among my Christian brethren, I am referred to as “sister Augustina.” I met Bimbo during a youth Christian programme organised by one of the Pentecostal churches for youths from different churches. We became so close and also discovered that apart from attending the same church though of different branch, both of us wanted to be teachers. I guess this drew us even closer. 
We were together throughout the one week programme which we both described as “soul inspiring”. After that programme, we still managed to keep in touch and equally gave each other information on subsequent youth programmes, seminars and attended together as well.
Interestingly, we both gained admission into the same teacher training college to study Physical Education. We agreed to live together and to help each other’s spiritual growth. Besides attending lectures and studying together, we also attended church service and fellowships together. Bimbo was the assistant choir leader and head of the prayer group while I was the assistant head of ushers.
Living together especially as ladies was not easy because we had our differences. Sometimes we had issues but instead of talking about and settling them, we just pretended as if nothing happened and then, carry on with the attitude of being “born-again”. Nobody wants to offend the other so we pretended that everything was all right. I must say that sometimes when we had issues, Bimbo would want us to talk it out but in trying to avoid talking, I pretended to be praying or reading the Bible knowing full well she would not want to distract me. And when she brings up the issue when I am through, I’ll simply tell her, “Sister Bimbo, there is nothing to talk about. Let us put whatever happened behind us. Don’t you see that the devil wants us to quarrel and become enemies. Please, we should not give him any room in our lives.”  That would end the matter.
But something happened that made me plan evil against Sister Bimbo years ago. The head of my unit, Brother Samuel, had come to visit me one Sunday evening as I took ill and could not come to church. I was so excited to see him. Why? I felt we had a kind of connection and other members of the unit also felt we are compatible. With this, I started claiming him as my husband by faith. Apart from being a born-again Christian, Brother Samuel was also such a loving and caring man. He was the kind of man any woman would love to marry.
He usually spent some time with us; we studied the word of God and he prayed for my quick healing before finally leaving. After lectures the next day, he also passed by to check on me before heading for fellowship. We gradually became close and started talking family and personal issues. This indeed made me so happy. I felt he wanted to know me more before formally making his intention known. I was becoming excited. However, I did not know he was doing it because I was his assistant and also a Christian sister.

To be concluded next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment