Wednesday 16 October 2013

World Muslimah is not a beauty pageant – Aishah, World Muslimah, 2013

Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola is the current World Muslimah, 2013. The 21-year-old 400-level Urban and Regional Planning undergraduate of the University of Lagos, had an exclusive interview with Angela Davies Blog where she threw more light on the contest which held at Jakarta, Indonesia.

Excerpt:
Can you tell us more about the competition?
It is organised by World Muslimah Foundation, WMFoundation, a friendly Muslim organisation that provides a conceptual model and specific techniques that guide the sisterhood among Muslims to become more communicative and make fun in ways that will enhance understanding of Islam and encourage members to be confident to find their essential skills. The group has different programmes it uses in empowering Muslim women in any skill they desire and also give them a little amount to start a business so as to help their families.
The organisation is also engaged into education, empowerment and international awarding-charity event. It has a project called MIRACLE, which means Muslimah Immediate Change for Life Empowerment programme; that is where it has the Annual Award of World Muslimah where it tries to acknowledge women who ensure that their hijab is not a barrier for them either in school or at work.

Has your hijab ever been a hindrance to you at any time in life?
I have been trained to use the hijab right from childhood. I think the only challenge I had was when I got to the university. I was the only Muslim woman using the hijab in my department and my lecturers were surprised to see a woman in hijab. I was told that they once had a Muslim woman in hijab but she removed it by the second year. As a Muslim woman, I have to show them that even though I use the hijab, it doesn’t mean that I don’t have my potentials and opportunities. I try to be myself and with the help of almighty Allah, I have been able to uphold that.

On the night of the beauty pageant, did you ever imagine that you will be announced as the winner?
I have to correct something; it is not a beauty pageant but an Annual Award of World Muslimah. That night, apart from the quarantine session where we had been tested in various areas, we were selected into 10 finalists. The 10 finalists were selected based on Sholehah, which means what we had been taught as a Muslim woman from childhood. After that, we were called out to answer questions on Smart session and then we were selected to five finalists based on our answers.
Taking you back, during the quarantine session, we spent a day with orphaned children. On that day, we were told that 100 orphans would be at our grand finale and they would be the judges for the final two contestants for the title of World Muslimah. So on that day, they voted for me right there. It was the orphans who voted me as World Muslimah and not the panel of judges as people think.

We understand that the World Muslimah is the Muslim version of Miss World. Is this true?
It is a misconception. The misconception started when Miss World was supposed to be held in Jakarta as well but the Islamic Muslim Council asked them to move to Bali where they have minority Muslims. The organisers of Miss World Beauty Pageant became furious and said that the World Muslimah is just like the Miss World Beauty Pageant but in reality, it is not. I was part of the contestants who took part in a fun walk in Jakarta on September 15. At the end, the Miss World Beauty Pageant was moved to Bali. The truth is that what we had in the nine days in the quarantine session is just like the normal Islamic vacation courses we have here where women come and give lectures.



1 comment:

  1. I really like the style of dress of muslim women, though it is closed but it is very beautiful and elegant....

    ReplyDelete