Tuesday 20 August 2013

I feel blessed and privileged to be the daughter of a living legend – Oge Kimono

Ogechukwu Nwamaka Onwubuya is the first daughter of Rub-a-Dub master, Ras Kimono. Known simply as Oge on stage, this up-and-coming star is indeed showing that music flows in her veins. Like her father, the tall, light complexioned beauty is a reggae artiste, but she does more of dancehall, lovers’ rock and roots reggae. Oge, who turned 28 recently, in this interview with angeladaviesblog.blogspot.com, speaks about music, her father, family and fashion.

It must have been fascinating growing up for you. 
Growing up was very interesting. I didn’t grow up with my dad; I lived with my grand mum in Aba. When I finished high school, I went to Germany for a while and then came back to Nigeria. So growing up as a kid was fun. My dad always came to visit me. I had everything I wanted as a kid.
What kind of music did you listen to at the time?
As a kid, I was more into hip hop, R n B, country and soul music. I was not fond of reggae because I found the tempo rather too slow and boring probably because I didn’t understand the patois language then.
Was going into reggae music influenced by your father, or was it a passion?
I have always had the passion for music as a kid but probably I could also say it also runs in the blood. While in Germany, I worked with quite a number of reggae artistes as a backup vocalist across the world. They include Tuklan, Uwe Banton, Ade Bantu and Rocky Dawuni. I also shared the spotlight on world-class stage with Beenie Man, Damian Marley and Nas, Luciano and others. I decided to explore a career in music first before dropping my first single, titled Drum and Bass, which I am currently promoting all around the country and it is enjoying airplay on radio stations.
At what point did you decide to be a reggae artiste?
At age 16 I got into reggae music. I loved everything about it and connected with it one-on-one because I paid more attention to the lyrics of the songs. I also found out that reggae musicians sang about things that one can relate to, from love to religion, freedom, consciousness and much more.
What fascinated you about reggae music and who are those icons that inspire you?
Things that fascinated me about reggae music are the rhythm, lyrics and delivery. I am inspired by the likes of the great legend Bob Marley, Tarrus Riley, Lauryn Hill and of course our very own Ras Kimono, my father.
How do you get inspiration to write your songs as it is believed that reggae artistes sometimes have to smoke or drink in order to get ‘high’ to be inspired?
I get inspired by things that happen around me such as personal experience, people’s experience, the society and other things. I don’t drink or smoke to get inspired.
  What is that particular thing you love about your father?
Can I really pinpoint any? I love everything about my dad. My dad is my best friend, role model, boyfriend and everything to me. We talk about everything; that is how close we are. There is no particular thing that I can actually pinpoint and say that is what makes me love him more. He is a total package for me.
How would you rate the Nigerian music industry?
I would say that the Nigerian music industry is pushing it well. The performers are upping the standard, which is a good thing, selling us out internationally and placing us in the music map internationally. I would say they have quite improved although we haven’t gotten there yet. There is still room for growth and expansion. But so far so good, the industry is doing well.
Who are the Nigerian artistes you aspire to do collaboration with?
I think I will like to work with somebody like Flavour because he is very original. I will like to see an infusion of reggae music with local music which is Flavour’s style. I also heard of a girl called Omo Ibadan, one of the previous contestants of MTN Project Fame West Africa; she is somebody I am so crazy about. I want to meet her because I think she has the kind of energy that I have. I am more into dancehall and she has that energy, so I think we could work together and do a collaboration of Fuji Music and dancehall, just something different.
Won’t you like to do collaboration with your father too?
I would definitely do collaboration with my father in the near future. If I am to record a song with him, I would do things my way. My dad is the rub-a-dub master; however, I might take him out of his comfort zone to maybe lovers’ rock or dancehall.
There are some celebrities whose children are into music as well; they take them to every event for performance and promotion purposes. Does your father do that too?
My dad doesn’t do that but he gives me all the moral support I need. For instance, when I do music, I call him and say ‘dad I did this, can you listen to the music and tell me if the production is good or not’. The truth is that he gives me support when I need it and also the right way to go about things that need to be done. He doesn’t believe in jumping the line, but in following the books…I mean following the rules and regulations to the letter. If you have to pay dues, you have to do that. There is no jumping the line because you are Ras Kimono’s daughter and I am grateful for that because it makes me a better person. He is a disciplinarian, I must say; he is not wicked. You know how kids would hear the voice of their father and start running, we didn’t instead when we heard his voice we would want to stay and play because he would play with us. It is totally different with him.
You have been talking about your dad, what about your mum?
Unfortunately, my mum is late but I have got a stepmother who is in the United States with my sisters and everything is fine. I will say we have a cordial relationship.
How would you define your style?
I will say it is young, fresh and there is always a message. I call myself the funkified reggae artiste.
Why did you call yourself the funkified reggae artiste?
I am actually called a reggae ambassador but I call my kind of music funkified reggae because I try to appeal to every age group, from the youth to the adults and the little babies too. I want everybody to be able to relate with my kind of music. You know how in the past people used to say reggae music was on the slow tempo and they can’t groove into it, hence it’s usually mature people that listen to reggae. I want my kind of music to be listened to by everybody and be enjoyed as well.
What is that clothing item you would never be caught wearing?
I am an eccentric person. I like to try new things so I can’t really say what you could never catch me wearing because I could wear any and everything and come out beautifully. I think it depends on how you put the things together. Somebody might wear a particular outfit and look shabby and I could wear it and look fabulous. I can’t really pinpoint that clothing item I can never be caught wearing.
And what type do you love to wear?
I usually rock jean pants and T-shirts with sneakers.
You obviously just started growing your dreads. Is it because rastafarians are associated with dreads?
My wearing dread is a personal thing. I just started growing my dreadlocks because I felt it was time I connected. Rastafarism or the movement of rastas is a thing of the mind. You make up your mind and say I want to do this and that… that was what happened to me in terms of my dreadlocks.
What puts you off people?
Insincerity and I can’t stand lies. I am a straightforward person so I expect people to be straightforward as well.

I know you are not married, and there is definitely someone rocking your love life. What kind of man would you love to settle down with?
There is no man rocking my love life now than my music. My music comes first and it is the most important thing for me right now. Definitely, I would like to settle down with a God-fearing man, that is the utmost, then someone who is very supportive of my career and of course an independent man. A man that is able and capable to fend for the family.
Describe yourself in one word
I’m a go-getter.
 And what do you do at your leisure?
At my leisure time, I write music, go swimming and I love traveling a lot. I read books and play snooker too. I am more of a tomboy really.
If you have to flaunt any part of your body, what would that be?
I don’t know maybe my arms, legs but I am beautifully and wonderfully made by God so I can’t segregate any part of my body.
How do you feel being the daughter of Ras Kimono, the Rub-a-Dub reggae master?
I feel blessed and privileged to be the daughter of a living legend.


No comments:

Post a Comment