Monday 16 July 2012

‘Franca, forgive me, I have offended you’


My dear Franca, I know that I have offended you. I am publicly apologising for hurting you. I am sorry for betraying the love we share. What happened between Claudia and I was not intentional. It was a mistake but that mistake is about to change our lives for good. And please do not blame my family because they are innocent.

I got married two years ago to Franca, my sweet-heart and the most beautiful woman in the world. We have been living in peace and harmony although we are yet to be blessed with children. I love her with all my heart and frankly, the love we share has al-ways kept us together.  I am a Marketing Consultant. My job makes me travel a lot. The truth is that in our two years of marriage, I had never been unfaith-ful to my wife. However, what happened in my last business trip to Abuja was least expected. Nevertheless, it happened and it came out with a consequence which I have to shoulder whether I like it or not.
My name is Festus. This is my story. I travelled to Abuja for a business meeting and there I met Claudia, an old school mate at the university in the hotel I was lodged in. If I remember correctly, the last time we saw each other was about six years ago at a friend father’s burial in Ibadan. Claudia and I used to be really good friends back at the university but we never dated.  Aside from being classmates, her brother, Jim, used to be my buddy and roommate. I knew she had always liked me intensely but I felt she was not my kind of woman despite the fact that she comes from a very wealthy and influential fam-ily. Her father is a big-time politician and business-man in one of the Western states.  She tried all the tricks known by women to get me to date her but I refused. Even her brother tried to match-make us but, sincerely, I only liked her as a friend and noth-ing more.
Anyway, as I said earlier, I met her in the hotel where I was lodging. Fortunately, or should I say un-fortunately, we were in Abuja for the same purpose: a three-day business seminar. Throughout the seminar we sat close to each other. At the end of each day, we tried catching up on old times. However, on the third day, we had dinner together after which we went up to her room and started drinking and chatting. Before we realised what was happening, we started by kissing and before we knew it, we ended up in bed. I was surprised to discover that she was still a virgin at 28. While I regretted the act, Clau-dia was excited. She told me she had been waiting for this since we were at the university but I never looked her way. “Festus, please don’t regret what happened. I believe it was destined to take place. I am glad the man I have always loved disvirgined me,” she stressed.
We boarded the same flight back to Lagos. All through the flight, I carried the guilt of cheating on my wife, especially deflowering another woman when I am already legally married. But for Claudia, she just kept sparkling. She had this unexplainable excitement hovering all over her. At a point, I felt she had planned the whole act and I stupidly fell into her trap. She promised to get in touch when we landed. However, I never heard from her again. I was really happy because I was trying so hard to forget what happened between us. In fact, I promised myself that I would not have anything to do with her again as long as I lived. But how wrong I was.
A month later, Claudia called to inform me that she was pregnant with my baby. I was surprised but at the same time I accepted the pregnancy because I was the first man she ever knew. “Claudia, are you sure the pregnancy is mine?” I asked. “Festus, you are the only man I have been with. I swear this pregnancy is yours,” she explained. “Yes, I know and I believe you. What do you want to do about it?” I questioned. “I will get back to you in a day or two. Let me think about it,” she replied.
While I was thinking of how to tell my wife what was on ground, Claudia’s father called me three days later.
Claudia’s dad sounded very stern on the phone. “Hello, I believe I am speaking with Festus. Well, my name is Chief Bayo and I am the father of Claudia, the woman you got pregnant. Well, I know that you are a married man because my daughter told me all about you and what transpired between you both. The truth is that you must marry my daughter since you are the first and only man she has ever slept with. Just know that there is no debate about this issue. Do you understand?” he asked. “Yes, Chief I do. But please you need to give me some time to talk this over with my wife and family,” I pleaded.
“No problem, my son but I urge you to be quick about it. You only need to marry her traditionally but as you know she is my only daughter so it must be loud,” he said. He however proposed that after the traditional wedding, he would send us to London for our honeymoon. He also brought up the idea that we could take my wife, Franca, as long as she does not have any idea about the plan. He also promised to give me contracts and so much more to make me and my ‘wives’ happy.
Almost immediately, he had processed visas for me, Franca and Claudia. When I told Franca that we will be travelling to London, she was so excited but I didn’t give her the full details. When I informed my family members that a woman was pregnant for me and her father was insisting that I should marry her they were not happy, especially my mother. But when I revealed all the goodies that would follow, they gave me their support. Now the only problem is Franca. How do I give her this humiliating news about marrying another woman? How do I even face her after in-forming her knowing full well that we had been married for two years without a child.
Since I didn’t have the courage to break the news to Franca, my parents assured me that they will inform her. However, I was really worried because I didn’t know how she will take the news after I had promised her that no matter what, I’ll stick with her until God blesses us with children. Will she ever understand that it was a mistake? Surprisingly, when Franca was informed by my parents that I was going to take another wife because the wom-an was pregnant for me, she just shook her head but never spoke a word.
She felt they are in full support of my action and decision because she had not been able to bear me a child. But that was not true. After my parents left our house, I tried to make her understand that it was not a planned action. Franca then asked me, “Festus, where did I go wrong? Is it because I have not been able to give you children? Are you even sure the baby is even yours?” she cried. “Franca, yes the baby is mine because I was the one that disvirgined her,” I answered. “My God, how could you even think of sleeping with another woman after we are married?” she sobbed.
I pleaded with her to forgive me that it was never planned but I had to marry Claudia. “Festus, tell me the truth, do you love her? Are you really going ahead with the traditional wedding?” she queried. “Franca, I am sorry but I am going ahead with the wedding but that does not mean anything will change between us. Aside from that we will all be travelling to Lon-don after the wedding,” I promised. “Oh! Was that why you got me a visa? I am not going to London with you people. You two can go alone. You traitor,” she screamed. I simply nodded and she walked away.
Some days to the traditional wedding, Claudia went to see Franca in her office just to make her understand the situation and equally plead with her to allow me marry her even though she knew that I belonged to her. Claudia informed me that Franca looked at her from the head to the toe and said to her, “I have absolutely noth-ing to say to you or anybody. Please leave my office now.”
On the day of the wedding, a few friends and members of my family were in attendance. Franca did not show up, and this really broke my heart. Meanwhile, my father-in-law made sure that the wedding was the talk-of-the-town. He had many of his business and politician friends in attendance. He spent so much money on the wedding just to announce that his only daughter was getting married. I tried to enjoy myself and also put on fake smiles from time to time while Claudia was so excited.
I was at the reception when my neigh-bour called that my wife had been crying but refused to talk to anybody. Later she brought out the visa and set it ablaze im-plying that she cannot be easily bought by a trip to London. I felt so bad that I had be-trayed her but it is too late. She has since refused to talk to neither me nor any mem-ber of my family.
Three days after the wedding, I travelled to London with Claudia where we spent about a month. All through our stay in Lon-don, there was no day I did not call Franca but she never picked my call. In fact, at a point, her line was switched off. I kept praying that she does not hurt herself.
On our return, Claudia’s father had gotten and furnished an apartment for us around Dopemu. We moved in imme-diately. As it is now, I had to start alter-nating between my wives because I know Franca will never move in with us. So, a day after we returned I went to our house to see Franca even though I was not sure if she still wanted to see me or not. When I saw her, I knew she had changed a lot. She was looking so pale. My once happy and ever bubbling Franca was just a shad-ow of herself.
The worse was that even when we were together at home, she did not talk to me, except when I asked questions she only gave me one syllable answer. No doubt she still performs her duties as my wife but now I am the one who is scared of staying with her because I cannot read her mind and this scares me every second I look at her. She even asked me to stay away from her. According to her, “Claudia needs you more than I do so I will advise that you spend 80 per cent of your time with the woman carrying your child.” “Franca, we need each other too. I need you, you are my wife. Please I am sorry, forgive me,” I pleaded. I have begged for her forgiveness but she has hardened her heart but I need her to forgive me. I don’t feel good about what is happening. I truly love Franca.
Claudia is five months pregnant right now. Yes, she is carrying my child but I don’t love her as much as I love Franca. And most times I wish Franca is the one carrying my child. As God will have it, Franca’s younger sister informed me some weeks back that Franca is pregnant but she has refused to tell me because she feels really betrayed by me and my family.
I need her forgiveness. I need to be with her right now. I don’t want to lose her because she has been very loving, caring, supportive and understanding. I know no woman wants to share her husband with another woman but please I am sorry, forgive me. We even need each other more now that you are pregnant. Please forgive me. What do you want me to do now to prove that you are truly the woman I love?

1 comment:

  1. This Festus guy must be a joker. Well, I think the only way to prove he really love Franca is to let her go because the woman can fall down and die at any time. seeing Festus is a constant reminder of a fraud called love and husband.

    ReplyDelete